Sunday, August 7, 2011

Saturday baking

There are many wonderful things about South Africa.  Its not too often that we find ourselves in NEED of anything.  But there are a few things, mostly food, that we really do miss.  Bagels are one of those things for me.  Sure, you can find a bagel here or there sometimes, but they are not the same and they leave you longing for those big, chewy, round morsels we all know and love.

So, how do I overcome this tragedy?  MAKE MY OWN!!  Now, I have never made bagels before and it seemed like a big task.  Plus, who has time to make bagels from scratch when they have a 2 month old?  Well, that is what Saturdays are for!  Dad can babysit while I work!

I was so proud of myself that I wanted to share my creations.  Our camera is dead, so iphone pictures will have to do.  Wish you could have tasted them!

Like most bread doughs, this one was easy.  The only hard part was the kneading.  It was an easy task, but 10 minutes of kneading is a long time.  Then I was worried about shaping them, but that ended up being pretty easy.  Here they are after being shaped.  Now they just needed to rest for a few minutes before being plunged into the boiling water.
 I didnt realize they were going to grow so much during the boiling process.  I guess I didnt really thing about it that much.  They grew so much, that they ended up not being round anymore because they got all smashed together.
After the boil, ready to go in the oven.

Ta-da!!  Nice and golden
YUMMY!  I couldnt even wait for them to cool.  We had them hot and steamy right out of the oven and they were very tasty.  So, there you have it!  A random post, but one I was proud of!

3 comments:

  1. OK, i'm super impressed. Those look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yumm! I've made bagels before and I agree that they're not super tricky, just take more time than buying them. But fresh is to die for. awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me how to make'em? Being the Jersey girl I am, I too love a good bagel. Sounds like a fun thing to try!

    ReplyDelete